Happy New Year! 2018 is here.
I don’t like to confine myself to ‘yearly’ goals, however as I look back on the past year and think of some of the things I’ve experienced and done, I can’t help but realise how incredible 2017 was.
Full disclosure and honesty here – in the latter half of the year, I was severely depressed and honestly thought it was the worst year of my life. But it was also a year of growth and change and knowing myself better than ever before. I went overseas three times – Bali (Indonesia), Tokyo (Japan) and Atlanta/Orlando (US). I attended an international music therapy conference. I worked as a registered music therapist, my dream for the last few years. My band, The Shifties, recorded their debut album. I moved to rural Alice Springs! I got engaged to the love of my life, and he moved to Australia to be with me. (!!!!) Woah that’s a lot.
I’ve realised…sometimes, it’s important to think in ‘yearly’ terms because it gives you a tangible time period to examine and reflect on. And it gives you a time frame to set realistic goals, plus new year’s always feels like I’ve hit the ‘refresh’ button and I feel a sense of empowerment that I’ve got a fresh slate to start over again.
So this year…I guess I’m making some yearly goals. Read on if you’re interested in what I’m hoping to achieve this year.
- Smile more. Do I need to explain this one? I have always been that ‘serious face’ kid, teachers used to ask me what was wrong but I’d just be daydreaming. Smiling more has been something I’ve had to learn, and I hope to continue that (in blog photos and IRL!)
- Go vegan. I am one of the healthiest people I know as a vegetarian, and now I’m ready to take the next step. I’m doing Veganuary this month but plan to continue past that too! For a long time I’ve been environmentally and ethically conscious of the impact that meat/dairy/eggs consumption has, but I’m finally ready to live my best life this year!
- Green-ify my life. I’d already started this one last year when I decided to try and buy natural skincare and makeup without toxins and bad ingredients. I’m also trying to cut down on the waste I produce., and buy clothes more sustainably. Expect to see a lot more posts about this on the Insta!
- Spend less time on social media. This is a biggie. I am setting some boundaries around my social media usage – Insta, Facebook, Youtube etc and really setting aside time to connect offline and to nature more 🙂
- Keep blogging, authentically. This last one I’ve been debating for a while. But I know taking photos and writing stuff makes me happy so I am going to continue this platform of sharing my life, for my own enjoyment and not to try and compare myself or live up to any expectations!
There you have it. 5 goals that I’m sharing with you all, in the attempt to keep myself accountable. Hopefully by the end of the year I can look back and see progress in all of these areas of my life.
What are your goals for this year, or for the future? I’d love you to share, either in the comments below or on Insta!